Ladies 1920 Original Tiffany & Co 18K SOLID GOLD Agassiz High End Vintage Watch For Sale
This item has been shown 585 times.
Ladies 1920 Original Tiffany & Co 18K SOLID GOLD Agassiz High End Vintage Watch:
If you are appreciate original, high-grade timepieces you may want to take a few minutes to read more about one such example. It is a ladies 18kt Solid Yellow Gold vintage wrist watch sold by Tiffany & Co. and made by esteemed Agassiz Watch Co. of St. Imier Switzerland. This watch firm was founded by Auguste Agassiz in the year 1832 and was one of the top ten Swiss firms in its day – on par with IWC, C.H. Meylan or Vacheron & Constantin. It would later become the catalyst for the Longines Watch Co., with Ernest Francillon inheriting the firm from his uncle Auguste.
Tiffany & Company needs little introduction, founded by Charles Lewis Tiffany in New York City in 1837 (at 259 Broadway) and arguably the finest jeweler in the United States.
This ca 1918 - 1920 wire lug watch is in excellent original condition, right down to the beaded edge winding crown and untouched dial and is triple-signed for Tiffany (on the dial, mechanism and case back). It measures 30mm lug tip to lug tip end to end and 27mm in width (28.5mm with original winding crown). In inches this is 1-3/16” in total length by just shy of 1-1/16” wide, not including the crown. Attached to this watch is a silk grosgrain style ribbon band with antique filigree engraved gold clasp – it is of a good size and can be easily adjusted smaller (or larger) by sliding the bottom portion of the clasp along the ribbon – in fact, it will fit a wrist 5 inches to almost 8 inches!
Powering the watch is a high-grade 17 Jewel mechanism that is adjusted to 5 Positions, fully serviced prior to sale and keeping very accurate time.
The 100% original gold matte enamel finish (sterling base) dial is in great condition with a light patina of age that makes for a perfect vintage look. I guarantee that it has not been touched (i.e., refinished, restored) since leaving the factory over 90 years ago. It features a black enameled 60 minute outer track border, Breguet-style black enamel numerals and original blue steel Breguet "Moon Tip" hands. Signed TIFFANY & Co below the 12 and SWITZERLAND above the 6.
The solid glass crystal is in excellent, clear condition. The three-piece case is signed for both “Aggasiz W. Co.” and “Tiffany & Co.” and in excellent condition, 18 Karat Solid Yellow Gold and with fixed wire lugs. The original beaded edge gold winding crown is in excellent shape as well, operating smoothly.
Turning the watch over I note that the back lid also in excellent shape, complete with a small, tasteful monogram (artistically done) in the center. Peeking inside I find a clean and extremely high grade Seventeen Jewel, fully adjusted manual wind movement that is signed MADE FOR TIFFANY & Co. BY THE AGASSIZ W. Co. SWISS - 5 FIVE ADJUSTMENTS, 17 JEWELS SEVENTEEN. The serial number is #127,880.
The inside case lid is clearly stamped MADE FOR TIFFANY & Co., BY THE AGASSIZ WATCH CO., SWITZERLAND – 18K [Helvetia Gold Stamp] with serial number #127,880. Please note that this serial number is the same as the mechanism’s – ensuring an ALL ORIGINAL timepiece.
This fully serviced timepiece winds and sets smoothly while keeping accurate time. It comes fitted on a (new) silk style grosgrain ribbon strap with vintage yellow gold filigree engraved clasp. This band is easy to take on and off and because of the “sliding” clasp it will fit just about any size ladies wrist. This is the type of watch that I’m lucky to find once a year at best – being truly original, fully signed and in extra fine condition makes it even more desirable.
As my pal Cautious Carl says, "Buy a Nice Watch from Mike"….although he’s getting up there in age and I’m not certain he knows my name!
- Since 1998, Holben's Fine Watches' goal has been happy customers. I treat buyers as I like to be treated: with courtesy and respect. I’m especially proud of my excellent response and high number of repeat clients. I’m a long-standing member of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors (NAWCC), and have collected watches since I was a kid.
- Watch sizes: I provide exact measurements in millimeters (the watch industry standard) and inches, and include a U.S. quarter in photos as a size reference. Draw the measurements on paper to help visualize the watch on your wrist. Remember, men’s watches from the 1910s - 1960s were smaller than considered normal today.
- Buyers outside the United States with less than five response: Please introduce yourself via email PRIOR to offerding. Otherwise, your offer may be retracted.
- U.S. winners pay $12.75 for fully insured, safely boxed USPS REGISTERED Mail shipping. Washington State residents (and those with shipping addresses in Washington State) add 8.6% sales tax.
- Canadian ($16) and some international buyers ($18) receive safely boxed USPS International REGISTERED shipping. I also ship via EMS Express Mail International for $45 and this shipping method is REQUIRED for shipments to countries that do not upload delivery status top the USPS website. If you are an international buyer please wait until I invoice you with your shipping option(s).
- International Buyers – Please Note: Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to offerding. While I ship within 24 hours of receiving payment but your local custom authorities can delay the delivery of your package. As such, it can take anywhere from 7 days to 30 days before final delivery is made.
- Payment is due within three days of sale end, unless you’ve contacted me prior to arrange otherwise. In accordance with policy, payments not received in four days will initiate an unpaid item case through the Resolution Center.
- In the rare event that a watch needs further service upon receipt, I ask that you return the wristwatch to me (or mailed to my watchmaker, David) at my expense. It will be corrected and quickly mailed back to you.
- If you like unique and collectible vintage or antique wristwatches, add holbensfinewatches to your Favorite Sellers. I specialize in American and Swiss timepieces from the 1900s – 1970s. My selection changes weekly, and is comprised of manual wind and automatic watches from the following categories: WWI trench; WWII; military; fancy case, art nouveau; art deco; mid-century modern; stainless steel; sterling silver; white, yellow and rose gold; solid gold; platinum; and diamond, ruby and/or sapphire ladies’ cocktail watches.
Our sister store, Holben's Fine Watch Bands, offers an extensive selection of straps including Bonetto Cinturini, deBeer, Di-Modell, Hadley-Roma, Hirsch and Staib; deployment clasps and buckles; metal bracelets; German military Bunds; UTC ballistic nylon G10; open-ended; James Bond striped, leather and woven NATOs; WWII canvas military; genuine and silicone rubber divers; carbon fiber; Kevlar; LORICA; Cordura; GT rally tropic perforated; alligator-, crocodile-, lizard-, ostrich-, shark- and buffalo-grain; chrono sport; riveted; waterproof / water resistant and woven/braided.